“I’m a case manager. I’ve heard it, seen it, and written a goal for it”
No pictures in this one, I am afraid.
Technical problems, but I'll update once I sort them out.
A single motivation behind this (uncharacteristically upbeat) post.
But...
Two different (so please forgive its disjointed nature!) related issues (worth reporting upon) occurred to me.
And the motivation was...
I recently fulfilled an invitation to speak at a training event, for a firm of case managers.
As I have mentioned before in this blog, a sharing of my brain injury survivor’s journey is a very important (to me, at least) feature of my rebuilt (actually, more a case of being rebuilt) life.
Whilst I have delivered presentations on quite a few occasions in recent years (thank you, Suzanne!), there have been fewer than was the case prior to the pandemic.
I am very pleased to report a significant and recent upturn in these opportunities.
In addition to this talk, I have been asked to address a conference organized by a firm of occupational therapists/case managers in Leeds, during October.
Further, steps are also being towards seeking opportunities for me to present to trainee OTs and separately, to other university psychology students (at a different university to the one where I have previously lectured such students).
The October presentation and the chance of speaking to aspiring OTs have both been facilitated by individuals within the case management firm previously mentioned
The founder and leader of that firm (Dave) is in fact my own case manager.
In terms of his services to me, I consider them to be truly excellent. I have also heard nothing but praise for his work from providers of brain injury care, whose paths he/I have crossed (and this includes a senior neuropsychologist).
Although Dave now, primarily works as a case manager, his background is as an occupational therapist.
The Leeds firm (my October talk) delivers occupational therapy, in addition to case management.
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have had some strong links with the OT profession, in the past. I have delivered a several presentations to students and practitioners thereof. I have also had a couple of OT related pieces published; and was once described by a university OT course leader, as “the adopted son of the OT profession”!
My work with OTs was a real source of pleasure and pride, and a renewed link is something that I am very pleased about.
I have sung the praises of Dave, so I will give his firm a well-deserved plug! ...
They are Ability Case Management
As to the second set of thoughts prompted by my presentation to Ability CM...
As previously stated, Ability is a firm of case managers. It struck me as worthwhile making brief mention of the contribution of such organizations to my brain injury survivor’s journey.
Clearly, case managers provide a much greater range of services than those of which I am personally aware. The forthcoming is based solely on my own (limited) experience, and it will be brief, accordingly.
Without further ado...
As I have frequently said, I have shifted to a new version of myself, and I am now moving along a v2. route.
To me, this requires effective version control, and I am now, less able to effect it myself, than was previously the case. Third party version control assistance is now very much needed.
I am blessed by receiving this from a wide variety of sources – thank you so much, everyone!
Key, though, to the provision of this, are my case managers, for the following reasons:
In essence, they design, keep under review, and retain oversight of my “hands-on care.
The starting point is identification of my goals.
This is achieved through collaborative consultation with a range of others who are familiar with my personality, needs and wishes. It is important as it constitutes a significant element of so-called evidence-based practice, to eliminate adoption of a “one size fits all” solution, which would hardly be helpful!
This isn’t the end of the story though...
A key element of consultation is of course, with me, and this has most definitely happened.
Only through doing so can case managers design a truly appropriate, bespoke, care package.
If nothing else working with (not for me) is an example of empowering “patient activation” (which is widely considered to constitute best practice).
Having (through this process) devised my goals, the next is for case managers (in consultation with me) to determine the best way in which the goals can be met.
As part of this, a care provider has been appointed and my case manager retains oversight of the provider itself, and individuals therein who work with me. If any changes are considered desirable/needed, my case manager will seek to facilitate this.
It probably goes without saying that there is significant liaison between my care manager and a senior representative of the care providers, such that they are fully aware of my needs and aspirations.
As you might imagine, as a person in need of day-to-day care, all of this is very important to me, and I am pleased to report highly effective delivery of the same!
Finally, a quick word of warning/qualification...
There are numerous firms of case managers out there...
What works/is necessary for one person may not be the same for another.
Further, it goes without saying that the services of a case manager have financial implications.
For both reasons, the identity of prospective case managers (or even the need for them at all) should be the subject of wide research and advice prior to any appointment.