As David Bowie sang - “ch ch changes”!

In my previous post, I mentioned the significant circumstantial, physical and mental outcomes of my accident and it’s now time for some elaboration. 

As I also mentioned, psychological difficulties have been, and to an extent continue to be my biggest issue.  I will therefore leave them to be the sole subject of my next post.  As that will be the end of my introductory, background posts, lets see them as top of the bill.

For now, I’m just going to mention a few of the circumstantial and physical changes arising from my accident – which, perhaps needless to say, have contributed to my mental state.

Without further ado - a few important changes to my personal circumstances:

Prior to the accident I lived with my wife and three children in a family home.  I now live alone.  Before too many tears are shed (!), I am still married, live nearby and remain in regular contact with my family.  

10 years ago, I was a senior – and I’m told, well respected solicitor, in a major global law firm. My work involved me in regular, worldwide travel – and that included flying Business Class and staying in some luxurious hotels! Prior to this, I was a university law lecturer. I can no longer engage in remunerated employment.

Some activities in which I used to engage are no longer possible.  Many more can only be undertaken with professional or personal assistance.

I am in regular receipt of psychological and occupational therapy.  I also receive day to day care.

As we will see though, in addition to these changes being not so bad as they might appear to be; some can actually have benefits.  All will be revealed!

I will now, briefly mention some physical changes that have come about.

In addition to bumping my head, I broke vertebrae in both my back and neck and broke my arm.  Mercifully the effects of these injuries are marginal and don’t extend much beyond some discomfort and inflexibility.

I am now visually impaired and am registered as partially sighted. I use a white cane. I also have limited hearing in my left ear and, if that’s not enough sensory loss, I have a reduced sense of smell and of taste

My left-hand side has limited sensitivity, and this can result injuries of which I am unaware.

So, overall and at first sight, plenty of losses!  Let’s not forget though, that many losses can also be framed as opportunities.  In any event, aspects of Phil v2.0’s life do, indeed, provide a degree of compensation (and my challenge there is, through positive reflection, to be aware of this).  Hopefully this blog as it continues, will be appropriately illustrative.

Part 2 of my “tales of woe” will appear in the next post which will, as previously mentioned, address my psychological difficulties. I will have then, completed the introductory background posts and we can get down to business!


Popular posts from this blog