“Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting” (George Harrison 1969)

 


 









OK – so much for my tales of misfortune!  Things now start to brighten up a little.  As I’ve alluded to before, it is a “long and winding road”, but I’ve taken the first few steps along it. I wouldn’t go so far, as yet, to say: “Here comes the sun”, but indeed, “ice is slowly melting”. There – that’s quite enough Beatles quotations for today!

 

So where is the road taking me – what am I trying to achieve?

 

I think it would be foolhardy to set my objectives too narrowly.  Ongoing flexibility is important in order to mitigate the risk of a sense of debilitating failure. If something isn’t going to achieved or starts to look unlikely to be in my best interests, then I need to think again.  Narrow objectives don’t easily lend themselves to this, as a change of tack can feel like failure to achieve that target. Far better is a wider goal that is capable of being achieved in more than one way. So, if some course of action doesn’t seem to be of much use, a change of approach is not indicative of my failure to reach the endpoint – just that there might be a better way of getting there.

 

As mentioned at the end of the last post, the things that really need to be worked upon are my emotional problems. I think however, that my objective needs to be narrowed down a little and, over the years, I have given this a fair bit of thought (not that you’d think so, from my simple and obvious conclusion!) 

 

I said right at the outset that “I haven’t really liked Phil v2.0”. Perhaps it goes without saying that, so far as possible, I want to turn this around. 

 

I strive for greater contentment with my personality and lifestyle.  I need to see my existence as worthwhile and even generate a degree of self-pride.

 

Unsophisticated as it might be, that really sums up my desired destination. 

 

I am sufficiently realistic as to appreciate that this isn’t going to happen by accident; and, unless properly managed, seems doomed to failure. The steps to be taken, in order to arrive at an aspirational Phil v2.0 need actually to be taken; and in an ordered manner – or to put it another wayto be subject to version control!

 

The input of third parties is obviously very important to me. “Help! I need somebody”- Oops!  I used to feel somewhat resentful of the intervention of others and have, at times, thought of it as intrusive, patronising and even incarcerating!  It has taken a while, but I am gradually coming around from this and can see the benefits of much of my external help.  Those who provide this ongoing assistance include my psychologist and my lead occupational therapist.  The latter individual is also the manager of my ongoing care and, in close consultation with myself and others, has drawn up and oversees the implementation of a detailed care plan that is intended to support me in achieving my objectives.  Much of my professional care, provided in accordance with this plan, is delivered, on the ground, by a couple of hands-on care workers. Needless to say, the loving and extensive support of my family and friends is priceless. “I get by with a little help from my friends” – oh no, I’ve done it again! I’m so sorry:



 

 Let’s just call this the “Beatles post”?

 

So much for the help of others – but how about my own involvement?

 

I think this is very important, as it induces feelings of self-empowerment and facilitates a bespoke approach.  I am trying to reach my destination.  It makes sense therefore, for me to be proactively involved. I am pleased to be able to report that this is, indeed, the case.  I have been listened to throughout, and the formulation, implementation and ongoing review of my overall care package involves (and indeed, has involved) me to a large extent.  We will look, further at my role in a journey towards a (reasonably) content and worthwhile Phil v2.0 as this blog progresses…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog