Don’t judge a book by its cover

 


I do actually, have a few things to say about books ...

 

 

But for that, you will have to wait for a few weeks! 

 

This episode is fairly short. Is that a sigh of relief I hear? All I would say is “don’t count your chickens”! By way of compensation, next time you will get a longer one!

 

Ok – on we go:

 

The above picture prompts me to mention again, something to which I have previously alluded.

 

Please don’t forget that appearances can be deceptive.


In Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin 1971), apparently “there’s a lady who’s sure, all that glitters is gold”. Well I can tell you for nothing, that she’s wrong!  All that glitters is not gold. One might look fine from the outside, but that doesn’t mean that everything is alright below the surface. Disabilities can be well hidden.

 

This is often the case with mental health issues. In particular, emotional difficulties, such as my own are very often disguised. I might look cheerful and settled, when deep inside things are not right at all!

 

My issues aren’t helped by seeking to “put a brave face on things”. Further, in some respects, I might appear to be less disabled than I actually am, by my failure to take steps, which would be assistive to me – and if I had taken those steps, my issues would have been more readily apparent. This is not a deliberate concealment of disability. It is more a case of a lack of insight into what I ought to be doing, in order to help myself. I know that this is a problem – I’m working on it!

 

At times, turbulence buried deep inside, can build to such pressure as to cause an eruption – with an excessive outpouring of grief, anger or both. 

 

On reflection, and in view of the distress (of myself and others) caused by a massive release of pent-up emotion, it seems a good idea to articulate emotion on a more frequent basis - and in a calm and reasonable manner

 

Further, if my problems are hidden away, then it goes without saying that through nobody’s fault but my own, I am less likely to receive the care (in a wide sense) that is supportive of my emotional wellbeing.

 

I am coming to believe that a little more honesty about how I am feeling is in my best interests (and perhaps those of others). Similarly, when I feel in need of support with emotional difficulties, I should (within reason!) ask for it. Needless to say, this involves recognition and acceptance of a need for support.  I haven’t got it quite right yet but think that a key to this is regular reflection; and the making of a conscious effort to cast aside self-denial.

 

Notwithstanding a feeling that I might be putting others to trouble, I have found in reality, that when I seek help, it is readily available from professionals, family and friends, alike. All have my sincere gratitude. In any event, I guess that I can reduce any burden, by seeking to ensure that, dependent on the nature of my difficulty, I ask the right person. Further (while erring on the side of caution) I shouldn’t ask for support, when I don’t actually need it.


In doing all of this, my hidden disability will become more readily apparent and I will be much more likely to receive the support that I need. 

 


 

Popular posts from this blog