We get a lockdown



In Belarus, “people are being urged to drink vodka and go to saunas.” (Sky News 2020)

 

Sounds alright to me …. 


You don’t need me to tell you that things are a little unusual at the moment!  

 

So not only have I been trying to adjust to a “new normal”, in the sense of now being Phil v2.0; but I am now, trying to do so, within another kind of “new normal”.

 

 To put it another way, a different Phil, in different times

 

We are told that lockdown is potentially damaging to the mental health of everyone. As you might imagine, for someone who already has mental health issues, it is a bit a case of one thing on top of another!

 

In my opinion at least, lockdown is necessary, but it causes problems for almost all of us.  I just want to mention a couple of my challenges in this respect, and some ways in which - after initial hesitancy and with much encouragement and support - I am trying to meet them. Further examples of (at least partial) solutions to the “lockdown blues” will become apparent as this blog progresses.

 

In order to address executive dysfunction (please see an earlier post), rigorous planning of how I intend to spend my time, and adoption of a strict routine are very important to me. Such procedures mitigate the risk of practical problems that can arise from such dysfunction and provide a degree of protection from resultant frustration, irritation and despondency. It goes, perhaps without saying, that “new normal” = new routine. At risk of circularity, executive dysfunction renders the creation of a new routine, less than easy. I am however, having a go …

 

I have, on the advice of others, formulated and documented a new weekly “lockdown planner”. This is an articulation of my proposed activities during each part of each day. 

 

It includes “domestic duties” such as shopping, laundry, gardening and household cleaning. The timing each such activity has had to be altered, to take into consideration that during lockdown, I am in receipt of less than half of the professional care which I used to have.  I need to do a lot more things unassisted, and fatigue management necessitates greater spacing out of “domestic duties”.

 

Even with this spacing there are still plenty of gaps to be filled.  As per the last entry, activity is essential to my emotional wellbeing (oops – a bit of OT speak there – sorry!) and work on how to fill these gaps has been necessary.

 

Here are just a few of ways in which I now spend my time:

 

A couple of posts ago, I told you that I enjoy walking and find it somewhat meditative and calming.  Well, I actually spend an awful lot of time doing this and, weather permitting, try to spend a few hours on a long walk, every day.

 

Even when it doesn’t form part of a longer walk, I am spending a lot of time in my local (ten minutes’ walk away) park. It has become something of a second home.  When there, I try to notice my surroundings and will often take photographs (both on these park visits and elsewhere), in order to assist in retrospective positive reflection.


And here’s one of the park pics …

 


With advance apologies for the digression:

 

Bramall Hall in aforesaid park, is often described as a Tudor manor house and it certainly looks like one.  In reality though, it actually predates that period, by some time. Its Tudor appearance is a result of old alterations that brought its appearance “up to date”. Perhaps, in keeping up with the times, a contemporary alteration ought to be concrete cladding! 

 

And taken on same visit, about 100m from where the last photograph was taken …



As those who know me, will attest to, I used to be rather partial (to say the least!) to spending evenings in the pub.

 

Strangely enough, this is one activity that I haven’t missed too much. If nothing else, having a drink at home is rather cheaper – not to mention that you can watch what you like, on TV!  I have made a point of spending money saved, through staying at home, on treats for myself, by way of compensation.

 

I have also developed a new “lockdown appreciation” of my garden. In addition to keeping it tidy, I have this summer, taken to growing vegetables. New potatoes and peas have been grown and eaten. French beans remain work in progress.

 

On a warm enough evening, I take pleasure in sitting out there and relaxing.  This experience is particularly enhanced by a fire …



And finally: 

 

By its nature, lockdown restricts contact with other people.  Having lived with others for over 50 years, and now, living alone, I have found feelings of loneliness to be a real struggle.  I therefore relished the person to person interface that I had, and it has been difficult to adjust to its absence.

 

But maybe, it isn’t totally absent – more a case of, changed; and as I endlessly repeat, different isn’t necessarily worse! On positive reflection (I really ought to do more of that – and this is a good example of why), I do indeed have some contact with others:

 

I might not visit the family home for Sunday lunch, but we remain in (albeit virtual) contact – probably more so, than before.

 

Once a week I am now accompanied on an early evening walk, by a good friend. We usually do five or six miles – very enjoyable, but sometimes a little “adventurous”.

 

I used to visit my mother once a fortnight. We now have scheduled telephone chats, every week. Again, more contact than pre-lockdown.

 

Every Friday evening, a group of us meet on Zoom, for a quiz. I actually won this on one occasion but am usually last!

 

In any event we can still talk to one another, on many occasions.  We just can’t stand so close - it’s not really “social distancing”. Perhaps a better expression would be “physical distancing”. 

 

So, as you will see, I still have a fair bit of company. Less than before the lockdown, but I am far from wholly isolated.

 

And in any event - I was pretty anti-social in the old days!



Popular posts from this blog