“It’s kind of hard to think about your own mortality”

(Of Monsters and Men 2019)

 

 

Given the stimulus for this post, as a mark of respect there is no cartoon this time.

 

The “stimulus” to which I refer, is a recent family berevement and imminent funeral.

 

In the interests of privacy, I will say no more about that.

 

Instead, I’ll just share a few simple and brief, thoughts on the issue of mortality.

 

I have been told that I was pretty close to dying in the accident. I’d actually go a stage further, and say that Phil v1.0 did indeed, die. In an instant though, he was reborn as Phil v2.0. And that leads me on to the fact that ...

 

I must keep reminding myself that mourning over the demise of Phil v1.0 should be appropriately, balanced with a celebration of his successor’s birth.

 

That said, even Phil v2.0 won’t go on forever. Our mortal existence is of course, finite.  All of us have only a certain lifespan, within which we can do things - so I guess I had better spend this time, wisely...

 

As Barclay James Harvest said, in 1980, “Life is for living”. I want to use my remaining years well - to live and not merely, exist.

 

In terms of what this means for me, I am seeking to build a full and worthwhile life. I won’t repeat the contents of all my previous posts, but hope you agree that it is starting to look a little, like that.

 

But surely, “worthwhile” isn’t solely introspective. My life can also, be of worth to others - and I very much want it to be so. I would like to leave a positive mark and by this, I mean that having been blessed with a second chance, I want to give something back (with a potential for its longevity).

 

Through my current voluntary work, I am giving a little to the Deaf and visually impaired community. What really draws me though, is the provision of some assistance to other brain injured individuals, which might have some lasting effect.

 

While I intend to keep the issue under constant review, I have identified (so far!) three ways in which I can help, in this context:

 

·      First, I can provide some direct hands-on assistance. I believe that some initial steps might have already been taken. These are through my membership of the committee (and activity in that capacity) which serves the needs my local branch of Headway (the national charity which is supportive of the brain injured).

 

·      Secondly, I would like to assist in the education of those that do, or will, provide professional care for the brain injured - from the perspective of one to whom, such care is provided.  This work has also tentatively, started. I have jointly delivered a few training sessions (on evidence-based practice and on patient activation) to occupational therapists and to those who are studying to become such persons.

 

·      Finally, and perhaps most importantly, as alluded to previously, I want to live a full and worthwhile life - and tell others (be they the brain injured, or those that provide them with care) about it. In doing so, I hope to provide a tangible and motivational, example of the fact that there is often a life after brain injury and that different is not necessarily worse

 

In the case of carers, I strive to stress the value of their role and the gratitude that is owed to them. 

 

Once again, I think that this journey has commenced. Last year, I delivered the closing plenary presentation at the annual, national conference of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists. I also acted as speaker at a reception which marked the opening of a new office for a significant case management organisation - this was well attended by members of the care profession. Finally, in terms of speaking opportunities, I was asked to be a plenary “main” speaker at this year’s (now postponed) national Headway annual conference. 

 

Last but not least we’ve got this blog!

It might be a tall order, but I seek (in my own small way) to inspire...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog