“Forward thinking ... 

 


... or thinking about the foreword?

 

... or maybe, a bit of both?” 

 

(Phil v2.0 2021)


I know that I have said on more than one occasion, that it makes sense to spend a little less time thinking about the uncertain future (and indeed, the unalterable past). That doesn’t mean though, that it is always, a good idea to cast it completely, from one’s mind - and in many situations, some thinking ahead doesn’t go amiss.

 

I will now, share a little of something, which is on my own horizon and to which I am giving some prospective consideration - IE I am doing a bit of forward thinking.

 

The clue is in the second part of the heading - namely, a foreword.

 

As I’ve mentioned before, my activities are of vital importance to my emotional wellbeing. Accordingly, I am to a great extent reliant on the input of occupational therapists. Through this, I have developed a particular interest in some of the background to their work and have commenced a sharing of my thoughts on it, with members and prospective members of that profession.

 

To date, I have delivered (and in some cases - jointly delivered) a few presentations and lectures. Of particular note to myself, is that in 2019 I was asked solely, to deliver the closing plenary presentation, at the annual national conference of the occupational therapists’ professional body. I have also written a couple of pieces, including one that has recently, been submitted for possible, publication.

 

An occupational therapy lecturer once jokingly, introduced me to some of her students as an “adopted child” of that profession and my next “OT childlike” activity has just dropped into my inbox!

 

There exists a first edition, of a significant textbook, for the benefit of those who are involved in the delivery of occupational therapy and individuals who are training, with a view to becoming such persons. A second edition is in the course of preparation and I have been honoured to receive a request, for me to write its foreword.

 

In reply to my acceptance of this invitation, I received an email from the prospective author, which included the words: 

 

I am humbled and grateful that you are willing to add your voice to support occupational therapy.”

 

I don’t know about this lady feeling “humbled” - it is me that is immensely humbled to have been asked!

 

As you might have guessed, I am very proud about this. The same is true of other invitations to speak, that I have received, over the past couple of years. 

 

In addition to my involvement with occupational therapy, I have spoken at a reception hosted by a case management organisation. That organisation has also, asked me to speak at a similar future, event. 

 

To add to this, I was asked to act as a “main speaker” at this year’s conference of Headway - the national charitable organisation, in favour of the brain injured.

 

A few paragraphs ago, I expressed “pride”. Very true - and I need all of this, that I can possibly get!

 

A big issue for Phil v2.0 has been (and to a lesser extent, continues to be) a sense of limited self-worth and this is all fighting for me, in that regard. It’s not the same as sources of (possibly misplaced!) pride for Phil v1.0, but different isn’t necessarily worse!

 

 

I might have a couple of months in which to write the foreword, but have actually done so, already. I have no doubt that the author will be suitably impressed and trust that you agree:

 

“Don’t forget that a bookshelf full of grown-up looking books will make you look dead clever and might help you to get off with, whoever it is, that you fancy. There’s no need to read it - just f**kin’ buy it!”

 

But contrary to this advice, I guess that I’d better read it! ...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog