I've been mad 


for f**king years ...”


Pink Floyd 1973



 

But I am sad 

not mad!

 

 

You might have noticed that this post is published rather later, than usual ...

 

... There’s a good reason for this - I’d written a long and rambling piece and then decided (with guidance) at the last moment, to rip it up and start again!

 

Its replacement is pretty short - you will no doubt, be pleased to hear!

 

What I’m thinking about now, is how I see myself and how others see me. In particular, the manner in which I would rather not be described (nor see myself in such a way) and my preference in this respect:

 

Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, might have thought of himself, as “mad”, and that view, may well have been shared, but I don’t like it, myself. To adopt more formal and polite terminology, I am also uncomfortable with the description, “mentally ill”.

 

Of course, such expressions might be used as euphemisms, for precise and individualised psychological states, but I worry a little, about the extent to which they can be interpreted in a holistic sense - and there seems to be a dangerous possibility, of this. I would welcome greater clarity, as to my own status and do not wish to see myself, nor be seen as mentally disabled, in any sense wider, than is necessary and appropriate. As you know, a very big issue for me is, excessive depression - as such, “I am sad - not mad”

 

I am keen to avoid any possibility of being “defined” by my mental challenges. I am not mad nor mentally ill - I am Phil (albeit Phil v2.0), who happens to have some particular psychological difficulties.

 

As just alluded to, it goes without saying that Phil v2.0 battles some mental issues, but these are only some of his characteristics, among many others - some positive and some less so. You can decide! There is so much more to me, than the psychological outcomes of my accident and (at risk of repetition) they do not define me.

 

First and foremost - I am Phil v2.0.

 

Another issue with overarching labels such as “mad” and “mentally ill”, are the negative stereotypes that can be attached thereto (by others and even, by myself).

 

These will often, arise from ignorance and misunderstanding. 

 

Let’s look very briefly at a few examples and the cartoon at the outset provides them ...

 

A common misconception is that the mentally ill are dangerous. The chap in the picture certainly looks that way - and this is one thing that is not explicitly commented upon - I think we can take that as manifestly implicit!


We will often hear about acts of violence that are committed by the mentally infirm. These though, are very much the exception, rather than the norm. I don’t think that I pose a physical threat - but can’t be sure, so you’d better avoid winding me up, too much!

 

Looking at what is actually said ...

 

Did he bring it on himself? In short - probably not. People don’t normally exhibit (genuinely) psychotic tendencies (nor the underlying psychosis), as a matter of choice.

 

The idea that a mental disorder is self-inflicted, is not necessarily a view that is exclusive to third parties. I myself have at times, felt guilty about my mental state and the effect that it has on others. 

 

Moving on ... attention seeking. 

 

This implies a falsification of symptoms and an underlying absence of their apparent, cause. Maybe some are in this situation, but very far from, necessarily everyone. I can certainly plead not guilty, on this one!

 

“Faking it” ... ditto!

 

And “A burden on society” ... well maybe not, but if they are, then isn’t this also true, of so many people who are physically ill? I rather, think that society should foot the bill irrespective of the nature of the illness.

 

I honestly believe that some greater precision, rather than the use of (possibly insulting!) blanket terms might help to straighten out some of this stuff.

 

 

They say I'm mental, but I'm just confused”

 

(Eels 1996)

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog