Oh, the weather outside is

 frightful ...

... Let it snow! Let it snow!




The fact that recent snow has now melted, is an apt case in point, for the purposes of this post. I was planning to use a photograph of very recent, snowfall, but now need to include a picture of some that fell a little while ago (replete with snowman - which is not of my own creation!)

 

The original motivation for this post, was that snow can (and being visually impaired, for myself, often does) necessitate a change of plan. Similarly, its current absence has required the use of an alternative picture - another change of plan.

 

Perhaps needless to say, but a change of plan (and putting it into effect) requires a degree of mental flexibility - and that is what I am going to say a few words about, today.

 

In short Phil v2.0 isn’t too good at applying this.

 

Unexpected changes, can catch me out and leave me rather, flustered (and sometimes, upset).

 

I also struggle, to identify and weigh up options. This can, create difficulties. For example:

 

·      A failure to “see the bigger picture” can result in the choice of a less appropriate course of action, than might otherwise have been the case. I might have selected a better option, if I had been able to spot it, in the first place.

 

·      A course of action can appear to be fraught with difficulties, or even impossible. There might though, be more than one way of achieving my objective and I can miss an appropriate one.

 

 

So - what can I do about it?

 

·      For a start, in appropriate circumstances, I can let people know about my difficulties with last-minute alterations. They can then take steps to minimise them.

 

·      I should seek to avoid over-reliance on instinctive mental flexibility. Wherever possible I ought to pause and think a little before speaking or doing. In particular, if something that I wish to do, appears to be difficult - rather than its abandonment, or jumping in anyway, I sometimes, need to step back and make a conscious effort to think things through ... 

 

·      Another possibility is to rehearse lateral thought, through the undertaking of an activity (or activities) that will frequently require a degree of flexibility.

 

Inspired by something which I have just read, one example is creative occupation.

 

Given the important role that it plays in my life, music is a good candidate for this ...

 

Phil v2.0 has more time on his hands and has added both composition and recording/production to his musical activities. Both of these are best achieved through an application of flexibility - if I don’t like the sound of it, then try something else (and this needn’t be something too, obvious).

 

If nothing else, the process of experimentation with alternatives constitutes rehearsal of flexibility - and “practice makes perfect”!

 

That’s quite enough of that, now. Time to get on with my forthcoming hit single. I am not convinced though, that my inept fusion of ambient techno and Erik Satie, is going to trouble the charts! 

 


Popular posts from this blog