“Let me immerse myself

Immerse myself in other feelings”

(Sacart 2015)




The word “immerse” in the above lyrics, does not imply that the motivation behind this post, is yesterday’s repair of my immersion heater. It is actually something rather different - and I hope that the thinking behind, my selection of these words, will become apparent, later on.

 

At risk of losing any “Stockport Man” credentials, that I might have held, this instalment, is actually quite “arty and sensitive”!

 

Its motivation is nothing more, than a couple of examples of my aesthetic appreciation, that have arisen, this week. 

 

“Aesthetic appreciation” can, I think be otherwise expressed as an admiration of beauty.

 

One thing that has become more important to Phil v2.0 is such an “admiration”, and I am learning to go out of my way to notice and appreciate more of the beautiful. I have of course, got more time for this now, and that is a good thing, as I find that beauty, helps to fill an emotional gap.

 

Phil v2.0 also has some different tastes to his predecessor and their exploration seems to be well worth, undertaking.

 

A presence of beauty makes me feel better overall, and indeed it is also, capable of producing more specific positive thought and feeling. For example, beautiful music might, inspire me in some similar, creative direction. That said, the last example of such inspirational music that I heard, was Aphex Twin. It ought to have inspired me to work harder on the ambient techno music that I am trying to write and record. The actual inspiration though, was to give it up as a bad job!

 

This all perhaps, begs the question of “what is beauty?” 

 

This is a branch of philosophy, in its own right, so for the most part, let’s not go there ...

 

All I would say on this, is that beauty can of course, be tangible or intangible. It can be experienced by any of our senses – and there is plenty of it about. It just needs to be noticed and appreciated.

 

And it doesn’t of course, lend itself easily, to objectivity – “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

 

Given the depth and extent of beauty that there is, the 2 examples, that have stimulated this post, might seem rather shallow, accordingly. They did however motivate me to think about this subject, as I consider both to be rather “beautiful”.

 

The first one pictured above, is the latest recording by Lana Del Rey. Over the past week I have listened to it, almost every day and love to do so.  It’s a good example of how self-perceived (and maybe incorrect!) “classification” can hinder the exploration, that I referred to, earlier. I perceived her to be “pop music” for youngsters and was accordingly dismissive. Having come across her music accidentally, I liked it so much that I have spent, lockdown “not going to the pub money” on buying all her albums! It is therefore worth dipping my toe into previously, uncharted waters – I never know what I might find. Some of it could be, beautiful!

 

The second picture is a book that I have just completed. In common with other beauty, I found myself to be quite immersed in it.

 

Part of the book’s appeal was its wonderful and quite moving descriptions of Italian flowers. Flowers are another source of beauty with which I choose to surround myself. I always have flowers, in the house and here is my lounge coffee table, this morning:










There is of course, beauty in my garden, as well. I am so looking forward, to the flowering of my buddleia and its populous attendance, of beautiful red butterflies:




 As you might have gathered, I do like to “immerse myself” in beauty, and hence, generate “other feelings”! 

 

Right – that’s quite enough of this.  I feel that the inner “Stockport Man” is clawing his way out.  It’s, therefore, time for a beer or 10!

 

 


Popular posts from this blog