“Professionally” brain injured!



 

On, various occasions over the last few years, I have been afforded the opportunity to share my “brain injury survivor story” with (mostly – but not exclusively) those who provide care to such affected individuals. A major recipient of this, has been actual and potential members of the occupational therapy profession.

 If I may summarise, some of the things that I have been up to: 

 

· FFirst, of course we have this blog...

 

·      Going back a little while, now - I was given the opportunity to present “my story” to delegates at a regional Royal College of Occupational Therapists event. Seemingly, this was well received and as a result, I was asked to deliver a similar presentation, as the closing plenary speaker at the 2019 RCOT national conference. In addition, I was involved in the delivery of a smaller group session, in the same conference.

 

Here I was – ready for action!

 

 


·  I I have also, jointly delivered two lectures to occupational therapy degree students and have been promised, similar future opportunities.

 

·      Further, I was asked to be the speaker at an event, which marked the opening of a new regional office of a significant care management organisation. Having done so, I was asked to speak at another of their events.

 

·      I have been asked to write (and indeed, have written) the foreword to a new textbook, which focuses on the role of occupational therapists in the promotion of mental health.

 

·      I have been made a committee member of my local branch of Headway (a brain injury charity) and was asked to be a plenary speaker at its (now, postponed) 2020 national conference.



·      I have contributed an article, on the important role of occupational therapists in my emotional wellbeing, to their trade journal, “OT News”.

 

·      Just yesterday, I completed and submitted a piece, telling “my story” for publication on the website of the charity, Brain Injury Touchpoint. 


 As I have said on many occasions, a full and meaningful lifestyle is of vital importance to my mental health. All of the above activities have constituted an important contribution to this.

 

I have received some, quite overwhelming feedback on the same. Perhaps needless to say - this is a source of some, much needed pride. 

 

That said, this is of course, external validation. Phil v2.0 does have a tendency to crave this kind of a response, to a perhaps excessive, degree. A little more internal validation would almost certainly, be helpful – if nothing else there would be no need for (perhaps, absent) third party input. I should therefore engage in a little more positive reflection and ask myself, “what are you proud of having done?” I am sure that I will find one or two things, and should be more grateful, for that feeling!

 

Anyway:

 

If my efforts in these areas are, in any way helpful to a member of the “brain injury community” (in a wide sense) – then, all the better!  

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog