Memories are made of this

(Gylkison, Dehr and Miller 1955)

 

Or is “this” made of memory?

 

As you will have guessed, today’s short post is about memory (and, as for the subtitle - watch this space!).

 

I’ve touched upon memory, in this blog, before. It is however, a pretty big issue for me, so it’s worth a few further words.

 

Although my cognitive functions have been less adversely affected than other psychological capacities, they have not been left unscathed. One important aspect of this is major memory loss - both long and short term.

 

Regarding the latter, this is rather inconvenient - although mitigating steps can be taken. For example, a use of detailed, written “planners “etc.

 

The former is also, at times inconvenient. For me though, the big issue with this one, is that it can be (and often is!) rather distressing. This is largely due to the absence of many memories, that would otherwise have been a source of happiness. By way of example, I have little memory of my children growing up, nor of things such as family holidays.

 

I believe that events are inextricably interlinked with my memory of them. If I have no recollection of a happening, then it can feel as though it never occurred. There might be some external evidence of a happening (EG photographs), but without memory of the occurrence itself, this can feel like a rather poor substitute. To me, any ongoing sense of something having occurred is utterly dependent upon my memory of it. Accordingly, “this” is indeed “made of memory”.

 

Our makeup is largely the product of life events (trivial or otherwise) Their disappearance (in the sense described) can, therefore feel like some form of identity theft

 

So - how should I cheer myself up, about this one?

 

How about this?

 

·      Some things are best, left forgotten - ‘nuff said! 

 

·      Stop being over-dramatic, by talking about identity theft - For example, I might not remember much of my education, but I sub-consciously, still use a lot of it. It only feels as though it and other things, never happened. In reality though, they did happen and contributed to a shaping of me. The accident has turned me into Phil v2.0, but it isn’t a complete re-cast. I might be v2.0, but I’m still “Phil” and a fair chunk of “Phil” (whichever version) is a product of my prior experience - whether I remember it or not.

 

·      Be grateful for the good memories, that I have been able to retain. I do indeed, retain some memories, and these are often worth treasuring.

 

·      Make new memories, to be savoured - and take steps to hang on to them. Perhaps, write things down and keep photographs. The birth of my first grandchild is a great example.

 

He might not be 6 months old, but he’s learned how to look cool and take a selfie!

 


Popular posts from this blog