And sweet, sweet as a mountain stream, we'll look toward to a new day breaking ...”

 

(Roy Harper and David Gilmour 1978)

 

Now that doesn’t sound, very much like the Phil v2.0 that we’ve come to know ... 

 

Indeed - this is rather, a novel post.  Its motivation is, however, some very “sweet” things, and they deserve a markedly positive response. Don’t worry - no doubt, I’ll go back to being “Mr Miserable”, in subsequent posts!

 

Not only sweetness, but I’ll try to keep it brief - short and sweet!

 

So, what are these “sweet things”?


Prompted by the most recent one, I am coming to the realisation, that we are only two thirds of the way through 2021, and it has already borne witness to some wonderful happenings:

 

·      My daughter has got engaged and given birth to lovely Noah.





She and her partner, look to be turning into a great mum and dad. Noah is, clearly very well loved - and he knows it!

 

·      My eldest son has obtained a First-class acting degree, from one of the most prestigious drama schools in the world.

 

And, if that isn’t enough:

 

·      Last Thursday was GCSE results day. On that day, his younger brother received some of the best results in the country - no exaggeration! I’d like to say that it was all down to his father, but in truth it was a product of his own talents and incredibly hard work.

 

As you will have gathered from earlier posts, I have a real tendency towards feeling sorry for myself.

 

Note the word, “myself”.

 

So many of my emotions concern what has happened to me.

 

Me, me, me, ...!

 

This approach is necessarily introspective. 

 

As such it doesn’t do me a lot of good - if I don’t like what’s inside, then why look at it so long and hard?

 

Rather more importantly, it is selfish, and positive emotion ought to be directed, more in the direction of and be generated by others.

 

My children have generated immense feelings of pride, and in return, much love and admiration is pointed in their direction. 

 

For obvious reasons, 2021 has been a very difficult year for us all. But, certainly for my children:

 

“The future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades”

(Pat MacDonald 1986)

Popular posts from this blog