I’m learning to fly; but I ain’t got wings; coming down; is the hardest thing

 

(Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne 1991)

 

Well, actually ... 

 

“I’m learning the bass; but I ain’t got much talent; so, making fast progress; is unlikely to happen”

 

(Phil v2.0 2021)

 

And yes - I do know that it doesn’t rhyme! 

 

But (to steal from Spike Milligan - I think!):

 

“Roses are red

Violets are blue

Most poems rhyme

But this one, doesn’t”!

 

You will be unsurprised from the sub-heading, to discover that I have started learning to play the bass guitar.

 

I might have an awfully long way to go, but I’m working hard - and the motivation for this post was an hour of practice earlier today (a regular, daily activity!).

 

Here’s my new baby, with some of its friends.




 Perhaps needless to say, but my quest to become a rock god is something of a challenge (to say the least!). 

 

I do however relish the taking on, of other (a little more serious) learning objectives and the satisfaction produced by their attainment, can work wonders for a much-needed sense of self-worth.

 

 And these are not entirely empty words - Phil v2.0 has indeed, undertaken some learning and intends to do more. Here a few (and not all!) of the learning type things, undertaken since the accident:

 

·      I have studied for and been awarded Level 1 in British Sign Language

 

·      My presentations and published (and prospectively published) writing have required me to attain some familiarity with the work of occupational therapists (including, some of their jargon - all items on this list are “meaningful occupation, in facilitation of my emotional wellbeing”!)

 

·      Membership of a book club has facilitated my familiarity, with the works of many, new (to me) authors

 

·      I have learned a lot about Mindfulness and have had a couple of pieces on it published

 

·      On more than one occasion, I have attended cookery classes

 

·      A new musical activity has been (for the first time) playing the steel pans 

 

·      My voluntary work has enhanced my understanding of the needs of those with visual and hearing impairment, and of the brain injured

 

And rather less formally ...

 

·      I have learned how to live alone, rather successfully, and

 

·      Last (but far from least!), through reflection and with guidance, I have learned a great deal about the “new” me and the effects of my injury!

 

As you can see, it is a fairly big list ...

 

BUT

 

Prior to the accident, my life had included a great deal of learning ...

 

·      Throughout school and university, it goes without saying that plenty of knowledge needed to be acquired

 

·      As a university lecturer, I had to learn some things, one step ahead of the students - there is a limit as to how far, the delicate art of b*llshitting can take one, and

 

·      Legal practice (and in particular, the delivery of training) required a lot of preparatory bookwork

 

I can’t help but feel sometimes that my current learning opportunities are, something of a pale reflection ...

 

That said - there is another “BUT”:

 

These last three activities were undertaken as a matter of obligation. Those that precede them, are however, undertaken, largely as a source of pleasure. I wouldn’t be “in trouble” if I chose not to do them - and that can’t be a bad thing!

 

So - what about the future?

 

Perhaps inevitably, I wish to further much of the above. I will also pursue any other, opportunities for fresh study.

 

Finally, on this though:

 

·      I need to be flexible and “think out of the box” about what I will do. After all, it doesn’t, always have to be an extension of something undertaken, in the past.

 

·      I must be realistic about what I want to do. In particular, I should seek to do things that will not over-stretch me and lead to likely failure and resultant disappointment. In common with many brain injured persons, I have a tendency to overestimate my abilities and must seek to keep this in mind.




Popular posts from this blog