“Come on now together
Get it on together
Everybody together
We should be together”

 

(Paul Kantner - Jefferson Airplane 1969)

 



Anybody who is familiar with the works of Jefferson Airplane, will have a good idea, as to why I chose the picture. 

 

There is, however, another reason:

 

A cynic might, say that some of the things which I will mention in this post, sound like a load of hippie, drippy, trippy nonsense. That said, I guess that I have always had some “hippie sensibilities”. Each, to their own, I say ...

 

What I plan to talk about is collaboration - working together. 

 

This is an unusual post, in that it is, wholly positive! I am however aware that it might be seen as, rather “preachy”. That isn’t the plan, though! I am just seeking, to share some positive thoughts of my own - an approach that works for me! You might of course, disagree with them!

 

 Here, I am talking about a form of collaborative therapy.

 

This begs the question of why, in a wider sense, working together is a good thing.

 

I appreciate that there are counterarguments to the effect that an “every person, for themselves” approach, might be better, in many circumstances. I personally believe however, that collaboration “wins the day” in more of them...

Why?

 

For example:

 

·      “Many hands make light work”

 

·      diversity of skills and approaches, can facilitate a comprehensive view, and generate a better outcome, than solitary input

 

·      A non-competitive approach, lends itself to better human relations, than a combative one; and

 

·      It is accepted that some competition is harmless (and might even, be a good thing), and co-operation can facilitate this. For example, a football match wouldn’t be much good, without a ground to play it on, nor a set of rules, to abide by!

 

 

But what has all this to do with brain injury?

 

 Let’s look at what it is, that motivated me to consider collaboration, today. It was, basically, a couple of things that I have been involved in, over the last week - namely:

 

·      A few days ago, a meeting was held, between a fellow brain injury survivor and me. Although it was instigated by a professional adviser of the other individual, I believe that the thinking behind it, was that a sharing of our mutual experiences, could be helpful to both of us - from my own perspective - it, certainly was!

 

 And

 

·      I have also undertaken some work for Headway, on a proposed new project - this was steps taken, with a view to the facilitation of some (slightly!) formalised, peer-to-peer therapy. The idea is, a setting up of small groups, who with (minimal) supervision, can discuss some of the outcomes of their members’ brain injuries.

 

I imagine that much of the subject matter of these chats, will be negative in nature. I sincerely hope though, that some positive implications of injuries, will also be shared.

 

The thoughts behind this, include the facts that:

 

o   Sometimes (but not always, for myself), it is just “good to get things off your chest”!

o   It can foster an appreciation, that others are “in the same boat”

o   Sympathy and support can be proffered; and

o   Helpful guidance/suggestions can be given/made. Hearing what has worked for someone else, might stimulate alternative and positive actions/ways of thinking about things 

 

What lies at the heart of both these activities, is the collaborative activity of talking.

 

Overall, I think that it is good, for the brain injured (and others!), to talk - from my perspective at least, doing so, can make a real (and positive) difference to the position of a brain injured person (in this case, me!).

 

As alluded to, it is not just fellow brain injury survivors, who might talk with each other ...

 

Talking with (non-medical) providers of care, can help. 

 

Expressing one’s feelings about desired outcomes, and ways in which they might be achieved, can:

 

·      Create a sense of personal empowerment (which might otherwise be lacking); and

 

·      Lend itself to a more, bespoke approach

 

I am lucky to benefit from this so called “patient activation” - I firmly believe that my case manager/occupational therapist, works in this way - and that is, a very good thing. 

 

She doesn’t work for me - she works with me.

 

Whenever appropriate and in applicable circumstances, the (gentle!) encouragement of such an approach might turn out to be a good thing ...

 

As you might have gathered, I am, very much coming round to the fact that, in many cases...

 

“IT’S GOOD TO TALK”

 

Overall, the (wider) brain injured community are a team, and teams are in it together. Let’s work as a true team and in many circumstances, it helps to pull together and talk with each other! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Popular posts from this blog