Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way”

 

(Pink Floyd 1973)



The picture has little to do with this post - save that the quotation (from “Time” on “The Dark Side of the Moon”) does. 

 

Hopefully, this will become apparent...

 

As illustrated by this blog, the rebuilding of/building afresh a new, full, and worthwhile lifestyle is a, near essential process, for the sake of my mental health.

 

For myself, meaningful occupation is, most definitely a good thing.

 

BUT

 

As the saying goes - “you can have too much of a good thing”

 

In short. I tend to overdo it - to cram, rather too much in!

 

This can have detrimental effects.

 

For a start, it can be a source of stress - worrying about not being able to fit everything in. 

 

Perhaps I can reduce this, by looking at what I am trying to do, in each, day; and asking myself whether some things can wait.

 

This can be helped, by a little forward planning, and in truth, I used to rather better at it, than is now the case!

 

Prior to “lockdown”, I was in the habit of drawing up a weekly, “planner” document.  In it, each day of the week was divided into sections, for morning, afternoon, and evening. For each such period, I would articulate my proposed activities. Through this prospective consideration, I was better able (so long as, I stuck to what I had written down!) to spread things out, more appropriately, and reduce stress accordingly. 

 

Since the imposition of lockdown, much activity has been curtailed and/or altered. Against this background, I got out of the habit of preparing such documents - and I intend to rectify this position.

 

Another (related) problem with an over-full life, is that it can result in fatigue - which experience has taught me, can have a significantly negative effect on my mood.

 

Fatigue, of course, takes more than one form.

 

First, there is physical fatigue. This is easy to spot. We feel tired and want to take a “breather”.

 

Secondly, there is mental fatigue - having a head that is, too full and busy.

 

And mine, very often is!

 

 I find this kind of tiredness, to be less readily apparent, and only become aware of it, when negative mental consequences arise, and I try to think about the level of recent activity. That said, this is a rare process, and it seems appropriate to supplement it in some way.

 

Again, forward planning, in order to space things out, is a good start, and the “planner” (as previously described) is facilitative of this.

 

The other thing, that I should do more of, is take breaks - and this is something that I struggle with.

 

We are all of course, brought up to believe that keeping busy (with the right kind of things!) is virtuous. A failure to engage in, constructive activity, on the other hand is laziness and is often discouraged, accordingly.

 

For Phil v2.0, this has, to an extent been turned upside-down. I am now, actively encouraged to put my (mental) feet up - and even after some, years, I find this turnaround to be rather unsettling. 

 

In any event, I enjoy doing things (not everything - needless to say!) and find their absence can lead to plenty of “moments that make up a dull day”.

 

Further, to “fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way” is contrary to my belief that a full and worthwhile lifestyle, really helps with my emotional wellbeing.

 

I can’t therefore do this!

 

What I need to do though, is seek some meaningful occupation, that is more mentally restful.  I can then fill my breaks with this.

 

Some activities spring to mind and I believe that I ought to nurture them. For example:

 

·      Walking (but with a mind that is focussed on my surroundings, and not on other mentally strenuous matters - which on reflection is also (duly adapted) the case with all of the following)

 

·      Listening to and playing music

 

·      Cooking

 

·      Light reading

 

·      Sport

 

·      Gardening

 

·      Meditation - I used to this daily and should recommence doing so.

 

None of these things are new to me. I do though, tend to undertake them as, wholly stand-alone activities - and I don’t use them as a deliberate means of managing fatigue. 

 

Going for a walk might be enjoyable, but its benefits are limited, if it is only done at the end of an exhausting day - which has already resulted in a major deterioration of my mood. The walk  might lift my mood, but it would be better if it had not fallen, in the first place!

 

So, overall, I need to pace myself and wherever possible intersperse mentally stretching activity, with some more restful occupation.

 

There - that’s me told!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog