“Routine keeps me in line
Helps me pass the time
Helps me to sleep”

 

(Steven Wilson 2015)

 

These lyrics are perfectly suited to me - watch this space! 

 

As is often the case, I’ll start with the motivation behind this post, and I’m afraid that it’s not very positive (in fact - quite the opposite!)

 

In a nutshell: for a lot of the time over the last week or so, I’ve been really struggling, emotionally, and have been tearful on quite a few occasions.

 

For the last couple of days though, I am pleased to report that my mood has seen some significant improvement; and the clearing away of much negativity, has left space for reflection on what might have caused it, and future steps that can be taken, to minimise its recurrence.

 

I believe that an emotional change, is often (usually?) driven by a tangible occurrence (or an absence of one). It therefore made sense for me to consider what it is, that has happened (or not happened), which has had such a negative effect on my mood...

 

One thing that experience has shown me, is that the true cause of Phil v2.0’s despondency, can be, far from obvious (to me). I have tended to attribute it to matters such as my newfound circumstances, or things that others have said/done (as often mis-interpreted by myself!). The primary reason for a darkening of my mood, might, however be rather different and some hard thinking has been necessary...

 

So - where has my reflection (with the benefit of hindsight and, welcome encouragement and guidance) led me?

 

First:

 

As I’ve alluded to, repeatedly, the existence of a full and worthwhile lifestyle is, of immense value in the support of my, otherwise weakened emotional well-being.

 

It did, however, strike me that I have, of late let a few things slip (the fact that it is a few weeks since my last blog post, is a good example).  I am also devoid of any, new writing projects. I have not written/recorded any music, for quite a long time and, what used to be regular walks, have become rather sporadic.

 

In short, my previously “full” life, has become somewhat depleted.

 

So, what’s the answer?

 

I think that it goes without saying, that I could do with a top-up!

 

...and the process has started:

 

You are of course, reading a new blog post and I have every intention of returning forthwith, to more timely publication.

 

A new writing project has been suggested to me, on the theme of Mindfulness (in connection with the practice of occupational therapy; or Mindfulness, more generally). I have started collating resources and have lined up some professional assistance, to provide me with feedback.

 

I have just returned from a lovely walk, which included this sighting (together with 4 other similar birds).  There is more to walking, than mere exercise!




 

Chatting to another couple of fellows who were, similarly, admiring the mandarins and some very aggressive moorhens, we decided that standing around duck-spotting, was a sign of our advancing years! 

 

All in all, I am trying to build things back up to where they were, a couple of months ago.

 

And secondly:

 

 I believe that there is more to it, than the mere existence of a wide range of activities.

 

What is also important to my emotional state, is getting their structure right - and an alteration of my pre-existing routines might well (and probably has been) a significant contributor to my recent distress. 

 

It goes without saying, that Christmas and New Year can be very disruptive; and certainly, for myself, last year was no exception! 

 

The adoption of a strict routine is important to Phil v2.0. In its absence, I can (and do) forget to do things or over/under do them.

 

Further, such routines provide motivation, to get things done

 

More widely, a break in routine can leave me, somewhat flustered and frustrated - and, as you might have gathered from earlier posts, Phil v2.0 is rather good at negative over-reaction!

 

The solution seems to be simple, yet again.

 

Basically, breathe a sigh of relief that the festive season is over (bah humbug!), and get back to normal.

 

I’m already seeking to do this, with a positive effect on my mood.

 

In fact, I am seeking to enhance and re-embed my routines, with a full return to the use of daily planners (and to compile these, in a thoughtful and painstaking manner).

 

So, perhaps the root of my recent difficulties, lies in an emptier and less structured life. The solutions are simple:


Re-engage in former activities; and


look out for some new ones; and 


Re-adopt old routines. 


BUT this isn’t the only thing that has, recently altered:

 

I inadvertently ran out of brain injury medication and had to spend a couple of days without any.  It is the first time that it has happened, and I will definitely take steps, to prevent any reoccurrence!  

 

 

“Medication can help us live a happier life”

 

(Carnie Wilson)

 

Please note her use of the word “can” - not “does”.

 

For me, sadly “Medication does help me live a happier life”!

 

 

Popular posts from this blog