I don’t know how I feel about that …



 

One outcome of my injury is that I now exhibit so called alexithymic traits.

 

This means that my emotional intelligence is not as it once was; and this can create problems for myself and for others.

 

The word “alexithymia” is used to describe, several interrelated issues, including difficulties in understanding emotional situations; and unusual (and, frequently extreme and inappropriate) reactions to emotions that arise.

 

Regarding my difficulties in appreciating how myself, and others, are really feeling: 


A significant issue for me, is an exaggeration of unwanted emotion.

 

A feeling might arise, and my thoughts can blow it out of proportion.

 

Things that would irritate most others, can make me very angry indeed! 

 

Similarly (and frequently) things that should only make me, a little upset, can feel more like a source of devastation. 

 

Another issue for me, can arise where something generates more than one emotion. I might miss, or underestimate, or exaggerate the strength of one or more, of them.

 

An activity might be eagerly anticipated, and an ancillary feeling of caution can be so played down, as to place me in a dangerous situation.

 

That said, I am striving to ensure that I don’t go too far, in the other direction.  I should seek to ensure that a negative emotion isn’t allowed to inappropriately eliminate its positive counterpart. To give a current example; I was looking forward to a walk this afternoon. I do however fear that it might rain; and had decided to work on this, instead.

 

Right - time to practice what I (self) preach! Coat on, and I’ll be back in an hour or two (seriously!)

 

There - 5 miles later!

 

It did, indeed rain, but I enjoyed it, nevertheless.


To reiterate, I was worried about getting wet.  When I posted about mindfulness, a few posts ago, I suggested not worrying about the future too much, as it is uncertain.  On reflection, there is more to this, than a simple case of “it might never happen”. Additionally, it might, indeed happen, but neither it, nor its consequences are as bad as one had feared. I am gradually learning that worry ranks highly among my exaggerated emotions, and I am trying to teach myself to do rather less of it.

 

The other side of all this, is my perception of, and behavior in respect of, the feelings of others.

 

The emotions of others can be missed or misread.

 

A particular issue for myself, arises from misreading the emotions that someone else exhibits.  I tend to exaggerate negativity (or what I often wrongly perceive as negativity) and miss the real point.  

 

For example, somebody might be trying to help me by advising me to think and/or act in a different way.  I will, frequently, see the desire to assist as secondary (or even non-existent).  Instead, I will, often, feel criticised or restrained and take the view that the underlying feeling behind what is said to me, is hostility.  

 

And finally... 

 

Here’s a picture taken on today’s walk...



Surely worth the risk of a drop of rain!

 

 

Popular posts from this blog