I have recently returned from a night away and a run, as a “Parkrun tourist”. 

 

Parkruns are weekly 5k races, which take place in more than 2,000 locations across more than 20 countries. 

 

Worldwide, over 3 million people have registered to take part in a Parkrun. 

 

I am one of those 3 million (albeit no doubt, one of the slowest ones!).

 

In common with most others, I have a “home” parkrun (my default venue), but on occasions have ventured further afield, and engaged in, what is known as “Parkrun tourism”. This excursion was, to take part in Macclesfield Parkrun. 

 

To avoid embarrassment, I will refrain from disclosure of my finishing time. I guess that a finishing time is only a number, but in my case, it was a very big number! My excuse is, that it was a hilly and tough run. My local parkrun is described as “pleasantly undulating”. I would hesitate to use the word “pleasantly”, myself; but Macclesfield felt closer to “unpleasantly undulating”. If anyone is planning to do it, I would suggest an ice axe, crampons, and a climbing rope!

 

Despite physical discomfort, I love participation in Parkrun and believe that they provide a significant degree of compensation for some of my “issues”.

 

My Parkrun enthusiasm is illustrated by the fact that I have run in 335 events, so far (310 of which, have been since the accident). I have also acted as a volunteer at a further 50 of them (all during the lifetime of Phil v2.0). Additionally, I have acted as an advisor to Parkrun UK, on participation by the visually impaired. Their retained researcher came to see me on a Parkrun day, and here we are, taking part and running together:



So why do I think they are so great?

 

·      I have always enjoyed running (not that you’d know it; given my lack of fitness!). Since the accident, I have taken great comfort from this activity - in addition to its physical benefits, I find it to be psychologically restful.  Further, the satisfaction of any running objectives (very modest as they might be) is a source of some pride

 

·      Parkrun is an incredible source of motivation, to get out and do it

 

·      Parkrun venues are generally very scenic. I love the appearance of my home Parkrun. I treat it, very much as a “run”, and not a “race” (nor as training for something else); and try to take, real notice of my surroundings

   

This is about 1km into the route:




 

·      I believe that Parkrun is a real community asset and one that is truly inclusive. Both friends and strangers will chat and encourage one another.  Spectators and volunteer marshals seem to constantly applaud and cheer

 

Talking of which, while competing in Macclesfield, I was very surprised to hear someone shout “come on Phil” (she omitted “v2.0”!) as I ran past. At the end, I discovered that, in addition to Macclesfield being her home Parkrun, she is a fellow Headway volunteer - it’s a small world! and

 

·      Parkrun tourism is a great way of taking in other sights. This picture was taken on the trip:

 



Overall, Parkrun makes me feel very good, indeed. Given my, now compromised emotional state, I need as much of that, as possible - and Parkrun makes a big contribution... 

Popular posts from this blog