I’m an ABI celebrity...

...get me out of here!

 

As to the relevance of these words - read on...

 

My motivation for this post is threefold.

 

Before getting into that though, I’ll start with a few preliminary observations, concerning the world of work.

 

I am gradually coming to believe, that vocational importance can be overstated; and we are not defined by our jobs. With hindsight:

 

·      Before my accident I wasn’t “Phil the lawyer”. 

 

There was much more to me than that, and a better (although, more long-winded) description might have been: 

 

·      I am Phil, who (among many other things) practices as a lawyer”.

 

That said, our careers can be much more than a source of income. 

For example: 

 

·      They can give us a sense of purpose; and 

 

·      Generate feelings of pride.

 

Being, no longer capable of pursuing a profession, I have felt, seriously lacking, in both; which has been a source of frustration and distress.  

 

BUT maybe Phil v2.0 has other sources of purpose and pride?

 

On consideration, some recent and imminent happenings, would indicate that there are indeed, some other activities that can generate this.

 

First:

 

Tomorrow, I will be attending the charity in favour of the visually and hearing impaired, for which I have provided regular voluntary services, for many years.

 

Not sure that this renders me a “celebrity”, who is seeking liberation, but:

 

·      Purpose - acting as a charitable voluntary worker; and

·      Pride - in the hope that my efforts have some positive effect on the lives 

of others

 

Secondly:

 

In recent days, this textbook has been published:





I was honoured, by a request by its editor, to write the foreword. My name now appears in print!

 

The primary target readership of this book is actual and aspiring occupational therapists.

 

As readers of this blog will have realized, meaningful occupation has an important role to play in the maintenance of my mental health. Accordingly, as a profession whose role is the motivation for and facilitation of such activity, the work of occupational therapists, has my interest and admiration.

 

Arising from this, I have participated in a significant number of presentations to university OT students and qualified members of that profession. These include delivery of the closing plenary presentation at its last national conference.

 

I have also had an article published in the OT professional journal.

 

I believe that my work with this profession checks both the purpose and pride boxes.

 

But does it make me a “celebrity”?

 

Well - I was once introduced to university OT students as “the adopted son of the OT profession”, and I think that some within it are aware of my name and involvement.

 

I guess that in a minor way, that renders me a bit of an OT celeb!

 

Finally:

 

This week I will be taking part in a meeting of the South Manchester and Stockport branch of Headway (the country’s pre-eminent charity, in favour of survivors of an ABI).

 

I initially attended its sessions as nothing more than a service user.  As time has gone on though, my involvement has, very much widened.

 

I now sit on its committee and play a significant role in its sub-committees on fundraising and volunteer recruitment.

 

I have also become involved in professional awareness raising of the existence/role of Headway; in the hope that it could enhance the prospect of informal referrals - with a view to maximization of the benefits that we seek to provide.

 

As a part of this; arrangements are being put into place, for me to present to university psychology students. I have further, drafted and submitted an abstract with a view to speaking at a conference for public healthcare professionals.

 

Talking of speaking I was asked to act as a plenary speaker at the last planned national Headway conference. Sadly, and for Covid reasons, this has been postponed. I am however hopeful, that I will be able to deliver such a presentation in the not-too-distant future.

 

I also understand that this blog is “shared” with Headway service users.


I think that purpose and pride should go without saying; and in a very small way, I am achieving a bit of Headway “celebrity” status.

 

So, in a couple of respects, I can arrogantly (!) use the “c” (celebrity) word! But does it warrant getting “me out of here”?

 

Clearly it can’t get me out being brain injured.

 

That though, is not the only “here”!

 

Another “here” is the dark place that Phil v2.0 has found himself to be in; and “celebrity” status as just described, is making a real contribution to a gradual departure from it!

Popular posts from this blog