“I'm free - I'm free
 And freedom tastes of reality”

 

(Pete Townsend 1969)

 



The reason behind the delayed publication of this post, is more than laziness.

 

I have had Covid.

 

As you can see from the picture, I am now testing negative.

 

I am pleased to report that my symptoms were very mild indeed. Nevertheless, I accepted incarceration (oops - isolation!) for the requisite period.

 

Having now had 2 results as above, on 2 consecutive days, “I’m free”.

 

But, free to do what?

 

Or to put another way; what am I glad to be getting back to?


I’ve got a fairly long list of newfound and welcome freedoms. For example:

 

·      I can resume voluntary work, and

 

·      Re-engage in physical activity. As you might have gathered from other posts, something that is very important for me in this area, is the taking of regular long walks. It is very good to get back to this.

 

Both are very important to my mental wellbeing:

 

·      Voluntary work gives me a sense of purpose and self-worth, that is otherwise in rather short supply.

 

·      My walks are a real source of pleasure. I find them to be mentally restful, and if I am sufficiently “mindful” as to notice them, I take great delight in my surroundings.

 

For many people though, the real heart of being set free from isolation, is the resumption of a social life - that being seen as a very great loss, during isolation.

 

That wasn’t really the case with me, though.

 

A loss of social contact wasn’t as much of big deal for me, than perhaps it was for many others. The reason being that Phil v2.0 is (in some respects) rather less sociable than his predecessor.

Of course, I have (and enjoy) social contact through the various activities that I undertake. An absence of this, during isolation, was indeed a loss. 

 

What I have much less time for though, is simply having a chat for its own sake. I find that it can be psychologically tiring, and I can now become easily confused, flustered and at risk of saying something inappropriate.

 

Accordingly, in many circumstances, I prefer to spend restful time alone, rather than engaging in much small-talk.

 

... and isolation didn’t do anything to change this (in)activity.

 

Accordingly, a newfound ability to chat with friends, doesn’t feel (to me) like much of a recaptured freedom.

 

But let’s look on the bright side - plenty of other things, do! 

Popular posts from this blog