“Those that can, do 

  Those that can’t, teach”


    (George Bernard Shaw 1903)




I guess that the above, isn’t an accurate representation of my recent presentation to some psychology students.

 

That’s a great shame. I was, sincerely hoping for that effect!

 

I said in the last post, that there are (in common with most of us) plenty of good things that I have missed being able to undertake, during lockdown.

 

I gave a few examples, but with a big omission. Namely, public speaking.

 

Monday constituted one of the first examples of a return to that activity, and I am optimistic that, in this respect at least, things will start moving back to where they were in pre-Covid days (can anybody remember them?!)

 

So far as Monday is concerned - you might have picked up from earlier posts, that an important source of occupation for me, is my involvement with Headway (the pre-eminent national charity, for the benefit of the brain injured).



A current, local branch Headway project in which I am currently involved is, so called “awareness raising”.

 

We have reached the conclusion that our support for the brain injured, can be enhanced through a maximisation of professional awareness, as to who we are, and what we do.

 

We are therefore taking steps to identify groups of individuals whose current or prospective work, is likely to bring them into contact with the brain injured. 

 

If they are aware of us, then we hope that in appropriate cases, they will consider making an informal and non-clinical referral to ourselves.

 

The more brain injured persons that we can help; the better! 

 

The presentation by myself on Monday, was the first example of such an exercise.

 

Seemingly it went down well, and I hope that it contributes to our objective.

 

If I may quote from an email that I received this morning, from their lecturer:

 

The students really appreciated you coming to speak with them and were inspired by your presentation, with some students expressing interest in volunteering with Headway in the future...”

 

Getting back to my public speaking, more generally...

 

It has played a significant part, in much of my professional life. I was a university law lecturer for 10 years and latterly, in private practice I delivered many presentations - some of which were to a very large audience, indeed (including many of my firm’s great and good!)

 

Stressful as it might have been, I grew to thoroughly enjoy this activity. I was often proud of what I did and (though I say it myself - sorry!) think that over the years I had acquired some skills, in delivering an effective presentation.

 

It’s absence from the life of Phil v2.0, had plenty of potential for a negative emotional reaction.

 

I am pleased to say though, that all is not lost:

 

I used to be a professional lawyer ... and am now, “professionally” brain injured (albeit, in an unpaid kind of way!)

 

I have retained opportunities for public speaking (albeit curtailed throughout lockdown). I no longer talk about law, but maybe, prefer researching and presenting, in a brain injury context!

 

I might not receive financial remuneration, but do get much out of it and this is sufficient compensation for me:

 

·      It gives me a sense of purpose and direction

 

·      The subject matter of these presentations is of great personal relevance to me

 

·      It can be therapeutic, in that preparation involves reflection, and much of this is positive

 

·      I love to receive complimentary feedback, such as that, quoted previously. I don’t always receive it; but when I do, it is more than welcome; and

 

·      Perhaps most importantly, my talks have the potential to foster a positive impact on the mental wellbeing of others!

 

Since my accident I have delivered several presentations (in addition to last Monday’s one), including:

 

·      Delivery of the closing plenary address, at the last annual conference of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists

 

·      Co-delivery of a smaller group session, at the same conference

 

·      Co-delivery of presentations (on several occasions) to university occupational therapy students; and

 

·      Acting as the speaker, at a reception to mark the opening of a new NW office for a significant case management business

 

Not the same kind of subject matter as the “old days”, but rewarding (and maybe more so!), nevertheless.

 

 


 

Popular posts from this blog