The happy couple








And the less cheerful pair...




As is commonly the case; this current episode is inspired by recent and significant events. 

 

First, and of much greater importance, was my daughter’s marriage.

 

Secondly, a few weeks ago, I broke my finger and heavily bruised, its next-door neighbour (not to mention much of the rest of my hand)! 

 

Let’s start (quite correctly) with the wedding:

 

It was a lovely day, that went without a hitch (save that I guess, they got “hitched”!)

 

I am convinced that she has picked the right fella and I am really pleased for them....

 

My father of the bride’s speech consisted largely of my expounding upon her talents and other virtues. As I then said: “I hear a collective sigh of relief that it will be a very short speech, indeed!”

 

More seriously, she has very many of them and time only permitted for an utterly non-comprehensive summary.

 

An important one that I did stress though, was the way in which she has, so bravely and kindly, dealt with the consequences of my "head bump".

 

My injury has often been described as “life changing”.

 

I do though tend to see these as being purely my own alterations. On reflection, taking such a view seems rather selfish. Of course, it’s not just my life that has changed – so has those of my loved ones....

 

...and on further reflection, my daughter has dealt with these changes very well indeed!

 

Added to the Phil v2.0 induced problems for her; she has had to deal with the fact that since my accident, her mum has survived a very serious illness, and she herself was involved in a major car accident – this wrote her car off – but mercifully, not herself!

 

Taking all this into account, the fact that she has been able to take it all in her stride is fantastic!

 

But that’s not all:

 

She has provided me with much personal support and has been a real source of comfort and assistance to the rest of my family.

 

My gratitude is immense...

 

Of course, one role of the father of the bride is to “give her away”.  

 

Taking into consideration what I have just said (and many other things), it strikes me that giving her away is perhaps over-generous. I would have thought that she would have commanded a hefty sum!

 

I won’t digress any further. Let’s go back to the word “gratitude” (because that is what this post is, really, about):

 

Despite the negative outcomes of my accident, it has brought out very much care and kindness from many of those around me. I guess therefore that I ought to spend rather less time feeling sorry for myself and consider more closely that which I should be grateful for.

 

It might be easier said than done, but it’s more than worth having a go...

 

And now, briefly, a bit more about my hand:

 

I am only really mentioning this because it is an example of kindness and care proffered by others, of which I should take more notice – rather than just feeling sorry for myself!

 

Ok – it hurt like hell, was inconvenient and has delayed a proposed guitar purchase...

 

BUT

 

That’s all about me.

 

My voluntary work colleagues noted my swollen and bruised fingers as soon as they saw them. They expressed serious concern and went out of their way (and at inconvenience to themselves) to take steps to cover my duties, on that day. One of them took me to my local A and E (and saw me properly checked in), where the break was later diagnosed.

 

For this, they have my plentiful gratitude.

 

I am also grateful to my wife for bringing me some lunch and (quite correctly) expressing concern over the fact that I was not using my white cane.

 

There is more to breaking my finger, than its negative effects on me...

 

Note to self – there are more people in this world, than just me! I should take rather more notice of their kindness... 

 

More generally, all the thoughts and deeds that I have mentioned, can be lumped together under the word “care”.  As you know, I now receive quite a lot of it (both personal and professional). Rather than feeling resentful over its imposition, and treating advice as a veiled criticism, those who provide it deserve a sincere “thank you”!




Popular posts from this blog