“When I feel heavy metal

Woo hoo”

 

Blur (1997)

 

In line with other posts, this blog provides me with an opportunity to update you on what I have been getting up to.

 

Of late, music has been a rather “hot topic”.

 

You might recall from the last post that I had broken a finger.

 

Well, I am glad to say that it is healing very well.

 

If nothing else, I am now guitar playing fit, again.

 

I was particularly pleased, as it meant that I could kick off a new project, to buy another one...

 

Despite the picture, and great temptation, to buy a Flying V, I actually acquired this new housemate:





I hope to be able to make good use of it in the future, for the purposes of another project of mine. To say that this project has taken up some hours of late, is a vast understatement!

 

In addition to the quest for a new guitar, I continue to be engaged in a music recording exercise.

 

Having spent a lot of time on it, the 4 tracks of which it is comprised, are nearing completion

 

So that’s some of the stuff that I have been doing, over the last few weeks.

 

And now, some injury related thoughts, that these activities have prompted:

 

By reason of the location of my injury, I now exhibit signs of something called executive dysfunction.

 

Broadly speaking, our executive functions are a set of cognitive skills, that are applied to other thoughts and related behaviours.

 

I think that the steps leading up to/in the execution of activities mentioned in this post are illustrative of some common characteristics of executive dysfunction.

 

Executive functions include things such as planning (including prioritisation), problem solving, flexible thinking, and the avoidance of inappropriate impulsivity.

 

Executive issues that have arisen in these, musical activities, have included:

Regarding the guitar purchase...

·      Difficulties in understanding/undertaking the planning processes involved. For example, when asked to list my current guitars, I misinterpreted it as a step towards talking me out of it! It was nothing more though, than a means of identifying with some precision, the type of guitar to buy.

 ·      When faced with a problem such as the possible expenditure or knowing where to look for a guitar, I have at times thought: “Oh sod it – I won’t buy one at all!”

 

·      Flexible thinking has also been noticeable by its absence. I have at various times, and based on internet research, decided that I want to buy a particular guitar and no other will do! In the absence of much guidance, I would have impulsively rushed out and bought that guitar, without trying any others. With hindsight, I am grateful for the advice!

So far as my recording project is concerned...

·      I used the expression earlier, “nearing completion”. I didn’t say “complete”.

        This begs the question as to why I have started designing a sleeve already? 

 

 


It is completely premature; and getting the thing recorded first, seems like a good         place to start.                    

 In any event, it probably won’t be needed anyway, as I am only proposing to give it a few friends/members of my family.

 As you can see, I haven’t done too well with prioritisation!

But this isn’t the only area, in which executive dysfunction has let me down, here...

·      Perhaps more importantly, an absence of planning has made a significant contribution to my spending so long, over this.

project plan, with aspirational (and realistic) deadlines for completion of various aspects of the project, might have motivated me to just get on with it and bring it to a faster close!

So, what can I do about these kinds of things?  

On reflection, simple steps seem to include:

·      At the start of every significant project, draw up a written plan (but be appropriately flexible in its application).

·      Listen to and be more accepting of, advice from others.

·      If, during a project, anybody does or says anything that leads to disappointment or irritation, remember that in many cases, clarification can be sought.

Popular posts from this blog