Making headway with Headway!

 

This is about the charity, “Headway – the brain injury association”

 

I’ll start with a brief description of some of what it does.

 

I will then go on to mention my own involvement with Headway.

 

Headway is the country’s pre-eminent charity, in favour of survivors of an acquired brain injury, and its stated mission is:

 

“To promote understanding of all aspects of brain injury and provide information, support and services to survivors, their families, and carers. In addition, Headway will campaign to reduce the incidence of brain injury.”

Further information on the wider work of the national charity, can be found on its website:

https://www.headway.org.uk

But:

 

Much of its operations are conducted by local “branches” of Headway UK, which are situated throughout the country

 

My own branch is the South Manchester and Stockport branch.

 

It provides several forms of assistance. Information concerning its wider work can be found here:

 

https://headwaystockport.org.uk

In addition to its other activities, central to our branch’s operation is the hosting of a weekly, face-to-face, “drop-in”.

The session provides an opportunity, for survivors of a brain injury, to spend time in the company of others, in a similar position.

This is, primarily, an informal social group, in which members can chat with each other, partake of some light refreshment (and perhaps even play a game or two – we have board games, and a pool table!)

In addition to any enjoyment that might be obtained, it can provide some brain injury related, assistance:

 For example, through this interaction, attendees can gain an insight into the experiences of fellow survivors. This can, for example, result in the provision of practical advice and even reassurance! 

Accordingly, the drop-in, can also be a source of non-clinical, informal (and usually inadvertent!), peer to peer, therapy.

Our drop-in is well attended by (unobtrusive!) volunteers. Such individuals have (between them) very many years’ experiences, of working with the brain injured (both personally and, in one or two instances, professionally). 

Talking with volunteers can also provide help.

Volunteers include both survivors and non-brain injured individuals.

One thing that I admire is the sense of inclusivity that this provides.

Volunteers and pure service users, together, are described as “members”. It is very much, not a case of “them and us”. Volunteers don’t work for survivors. They work with them. 

Overall, I believe that these drop-in sessions, provide a significant benefit, in a safe and supportive environment. 

And, now onto a couple of subjective observations:

I first attended our drop-in, shortly after my accident. With hindsight, I think that this was probably too soon. I had a limited understanding of what was going on and I am sure, said many of the wrong things!

My attendance didn’t last for very long, and it was a few years before I re-joined the group (and I now seek to attend as many sessions as possible).

In the meantime, I had undertaken many of the activities mentioned elsewhere in this blog, including speaking, and writing opportunities.

It therefore occurred to me (with the encouragement of, both Headway and my wife), that, in addition to a receipt of services, I ought to be able to provide some. I have indeed taken some steps in this direction.

I was asked to deliver a plenary presentation, at the last scheduled annual conference of Headway UK. Sadly, this was cancelled by reason of the pandemic.

At a branch level, a couple of years ago, I was elected to serve on its committee. Through this, I have gained significant experience of fundraising (primarily grant applications). I have also presented, on behalf of our branch, to university psychology students, as part of an awareness raising project.

With effect from my recent re-election to our branch committee, I now have a new committee role and serve as a “Member Representative”.

Not only do volunteers, more widely, include the brain injured; but so does the committee.

Once again, we are working as a team...



Popular posts from this blog