“Are you bored?

Are you jaded

Has all the enthusiasm faded”

 

Godley and Creme (1978) 

 

Godley and Creme (1978) 

 

By virtue of my head bump, there are plenty of things that I can no longer do (or which have had to be, significantly adapted).

 

There is also plenty that I can do!

 

As you will have gathered, I am striving to build a new (Phil v2.0), full, and worthwhile lifestyle.

 

I believe that much progress has been made in this regard. Others have, certainly told me that this is the case.

 

But:

 

It perhaps goes without saying, that I should seek to maximise this, in pursuance of my goal.

 

In this respect, I believe that I am not doing as well as I could.

 

Let me give you a couple of examples of my shortcomings (and there are an awful lot more!):

 

·      I have, over the past few years, delivered many lectures, and have had writings published, concerning my injury. This was a source of satisfaction and pride, but it has, rather ground to a halt; and

 

·      Music is of great importance to me. 

 

I have written a piece, in the last year, and am seeking to record it. 

 

Now – who’s front bedroom, doesn’t look like this?




 

 In this project, all that is left for me to do, is to record a couple of short, bass, and acoustic guitar parts. I have written, and practice/tinker with them, endlessly.  All I need to do is to record them!

 

I start almost every day (including today!), with the intention of getting it done. 

 

      Guess what?...

 

I believe that these (and other) dormant projects, do fall within my current abilities.

 

So, what is the roadblock here?

 

Motivation!

 

Obviously, if we want to get things done, we need it! 

 

Initial motivation isn’t too much of a problem – what is though, is my ability to retain it, and see things through, to an adequate conclusion.

 

I, easily run out of steam

 

I have been told that, motivation is a psychological function, and it would be easy to say, that it must rank among those that have been damaged – end of story!

 

I do however think that it is worth applying a little more, personal precision, and through this having some thoughts, as to how things can be improved.

 

A good start seems to be a consideration of why I can, become, so readily demotivated.

 

 

A few ideas spring to mind:

 

·      I forget the extent of my initial enthusiasm for a project.

 

·      Altered circumstance might require the application of flexibility as to how things can be achieved. I am no longer, too good at this.

 

·      I am very easily side-tracked.

 

·      Mental fatigue (which is now a big issue for me). 

 

·      I believe that a big source of my motivational problems, is (very often ungrounded!) pessimism over difficulties that might arise.

 

I have been told that a newfound characteristic of mine, is executive dysfunction. I believe that this can account for most (if not all), of these issues.

 

Looking at them in the context of my two, previously outlined projects.

 

Many of the stated reasons for a loss of enthusiasm are applicable, but (and by way of example), in particular:

 

·      First, regarding an absence of speaking and writing opportunities:

 

This has largely arisen, by reason of changed circumstances.

 

In short, I have suffered rather a dearth, of chances to speak and write.

 

As a result, I tend to have writing and speaking, down low on my list of objectives.

 

So – if altered circumstances have blunted my motivation (and having recognised this to be the case), it is down to me (with outside help) to change them. 

 

I should (albeit with some help) go out and try to generate opportunities. An exploration of some new sources is a good idea. Just because there is limited call for my input in familiar contexts, doesn’t mean that this is, necessarily the case, everywhere. There are other places to speak, and publications to write, for! 

 

In short, I should, from time to time, seek to list past, and formerly important, projects that have rather “fallen off the radar”. If I identify that this is (or largely is) the result of changed circumstances, I should give serious consideration to trying to alter them.

 

I need to train myself to be more flexible, and this isn’t a bad place to start!

 

·      And now my failure to complete the music project:

 

This is, primarily a result of exaggerated (and maybe, unnecessary) worry over difficulties that might arise.

 

Much (not quite all) of what I have recorded, to date, are electronically generated sounds (synthesizers). The guitar parts are referred to as “audio”, and their recording/production, will involve the acquisition, and application of, some new skills.

 

I need to learn how to replace pessimism here, with a trigger to investigate.

Perceived problems might turn out to be nowhere near so large, as I have imagined.

 

You never know until you try! 

 

If in doubt:

 

JFDI

 

With reference to the earlier picture, it does indeed, seem that I am not alone!

 

Here is my grandson’s “pad”!




Is this a future career, mapped out?!


 

Popular posts from this blog