“That's how grateful we are, that's how grateful we are
That's how grateful we are, that's how grateful we are
That's how grateful we are, that's how grateful we are
That's how grateful we are, that's how grateful we are”

 

(Chumbawamba 1990)





 

I have previously mentioned, my involvement with the South Manchester and Stockport branch of Headway – the brain injury association. 

 

Our branch is charitable and non-trading. Accordingly, we can only spend for the benefit of our members, money that we can raise from charitable sources. Perhaps needless to say, we are on the constant lookout for charitable funds. 

 

An obvious source of these, are donations.

 

Saturday 7 October, saw the culmination of a fundraising exercise, that generated donations, amounting to more than £800!

 

A team of three senior corporate lawyers (old colleagues of mine), competed in my local parkrun, and obtained sponsorship for their efforts.

 

They gave up their normal Saturday morning activities – maybe doing high powered “deals”; or staying in bed; or a combination of the 2?! – to raise money for our branch of Headway. Not only that, but they tackled a run, that I know from experience is rather undulating and, otherwise tough.

 

Their efforts were sufficiently praiseworthy, to warrant the opening quotation, and the pre-run (they looked rather more knackered at the end!) picture, right at the outset. 

 

It was a lovely day for it, and they joined over 300 other runners. I must confess that these didn’t include myself. Quite apart from indolence, this put me in a better position to cheer them on.

 

Here’s a picture of one of our hardy individuals. Notwithstanding having just run up a hill, she is still smiling.

 

 


Perhaps that wouldn’t have been the case, had she known what was about to come up!

 

Where she has just run, doesn’t count as a “hill”. Right around the corner though, is an incline that most definitely does.

 

And a partner in crime, of hers, with yours truly!



He is also just around the corner from the monstrous ascent – that will wipe the  smile off his face!

 

I am deeply impressed that he took time to stop for a photo opportunity, and still completed the course in a very creditable time!

 

Maybe he just needed a breather!?

 

I guess that before winding up this post, I ought to include a bit of the usual brain injury stuff.  Don’t worry, I’ll keep it brief – just a couple of thoughts:

 

·      With my usual negativity, I was anxious about various aspects of this initiative. BUT, when it came down to it, everything went very well indeed.  I must learn not to worry as much as I do. It very often turns out to be needless.  And anyway – if any of my concerns came to fruition, would it be of much significance?  With hindsight – no!

 

·      Secondly, one source of my ongoing distress is a massive number of missing memories.

 

I do appreciate that memories, necessarily relate to the past. This is, of course unalterable, and perhaps I tend to focus rather too much, on it.

 

Living, more in the moment, is probably a good idea.

Nevertheless, my past is a part of me, and something that has been stolen. At least, partial recovery of it, would assist in my emotional wellbeing.

 

 Talking to these individuals provided some mitigation, regarding a recollection of my, pre-head bump, employment. In addition to them actively reminding me of things, I found that their prompts served as reminders to me of other things; when that person or event had not been mentioned – what I had been told, had served to jog my memory.

 

 

And what better way to end this fundraising exercise - than a good bit of post-run breakfast?




It goes without saying, that I am massively grateful to our runners, and to those that sponsored or otherwise supported them. 

 

In terms of extensive and highly supportive, background work, I, also owe many thanks to Clare and Kat, who dealt with a wealth of background issues.

 

I would also like to thank Bramhall parkrun, for accommodating us, and publicizing the exercise.

 

All in all, a very worthwhile day!

 

You all have my immense gratitude.

 

 



 

 

Popular posts from this blog