“We don’t need no education”

 

Pink Floyd (1979)



First, I should say that I don’t agree with the opening quotation, in its own right! I consider education to be invaluable ... though, as for that which I provide - debatable!

 

Anyway, off we go, and be warned...

 

...for a change, this is a wholly positive post!

 

As you might recall, I have delivered many, brain injury related, presentations to students (and others) since surviving the injury.

 

Inevitably, this ground to a complete halt, by reason of Covid, and such activity seems (for several reasons), to have taken a very long time, to re-start.

 

That was, until a couple of weeks ago...

 

My “gigging” activities look like they are recommencing.

 

In the past, the delivery of presentations, has been very important to me.

 

In pre - Phil v2.0 days, public speaking formed a major part of my life. The fact that this is, now rather replicated, with further presentations is, therefore, something of a recapture, of my earlier life - and that can’t be a bad thing!

 

More pertinently, it can be a source of much needed, pride (if it goes well - which I am sure, isn’t always the case!)

 

A sense of purpose and the achievement of a means to it, matters very much to me.

 

Given my Phil v2.0, published writings and frequent delivery of presentations, I used to think of myself as professionally (albeit in an unpaid kind of way!) brain injured!

 

Hard work, all enveloping, and stress-inducing as it was, my pre-accident profession constituted a massive piece of my life and having a new “profession” (albeit a very different one), feels like a very positive step. It’s extinguishment (I am pleased to say - temporary) was a source of serious disappointment to me.

 

We now appear to be getting back up and running, and that is very good news, for me.

 

So - going back, a couple of weeks...

 

On the invitation of the lady with whom I am pictured, below, I gave a talk to psychology students at the University of Bolton. 

 

This and other events (that I’ll mention in a moment) are down to the aforesaid lady (to whom I owe significant gratitude). 

 

In conformity with my earlier “gigging” reference, she now refers to herself as my “agent”.  The support worker who accompanied me, could be thought of as road crew. I therefore have a full back-up team - although drugs (unless coffee counts?) and groupies were noticeable by their absence!

 

All in all, I think it went well, and I have received some positive feedback.

 

Perhaps more tellingly, I was asked to present to other psychology students at the same institution last Monday, and have received an invitation to speak at a conference next year.

 

Things are brightening up, in this sense...

 

...Long may it continue!

 

 

 


  

Popular posts from this blog