The “star” of this post is my eldest son.


As you might recall, he is an actor.

 

This Christmas, I had the delight of seeing him in the Royal Exchange Theatre’s Christmas presentation.

 

It was a theatrical adaptation of the Noel Coward film, “Brief Encounter”.

 

Despite its immense acclaim, I have never seen the film, nor had any burning desire, to do so.

 

I did, though, thoroughly enjoy the play, and might check out the movie, accordingly.

 

First, I really took to the story, with its bittersweet connotations.

 

For those who know the story, here’s a question for you...

 

Is it a happy or sad ending?

 

I accept that the course of action taken, was the “right” thing to do. Nevertheless, I tend towards “sad”.

 

Perhaps I am, intrinsically immoral?!

 

More important than the story though, was the immensely high standard of the acting - and that includes my son!

 

As a Christmas production, an element of levity was introduced, through the inclusion of live music, songs, and dance.

 

Matt contributed to all of these (in addition to, more conventional acting).

 

In the earlier picture, he is, as part of his role, playing a saxophone solo...

 

...and, according to one professional review, he:

 

Really comes into his own with a fantastic saxophone solo, demonstrating again the versatility of this excellent cast

 

He also sang and tap danced. Concerning the latter, I had no idea whatsoever, that he could do this!

 

...And, as a friend of mine said:

 

“...Was at Royal Exchange...and who should be in the play? He was great. What a talent. Clearly gets it from his mother”!

 

Perhaps needless to say, his performance made me very proud, indeed.

 

That pride is increased by his recent casting (as part of a very small cast!) in a high-profile play, that will shortly be performed on a UK and Irish tour.

 

I am sure that you agree; he is not doing too badly, at this acting lark!...

 

...And to think, that it doesn’t seem a moment since I was watching him, in school plays!

 

And that brings me neatly on to the “brain injured bit”:

 

Probably in common with most people (but a much bigger issue, for myself) I tend to forget prior events.

 

I find that significant blanks, in my memory, can make earlier happenings, seem much more recent than, than they are.

 

Of course, a lot has happened to my son, since the days of school plays, but not being able to remember many of them, can accelerate the passing of time, for me.

 

I think that an important thing for me to do, is to take steps to minimize these “blanks”.

 

 One obvious way of doing this, is to create a written, and ongoing record of significant events...

 

...Not enough, just to create it though.  It should also be reviewed with some regularity!

 

And then, there are photographs (such as the “pictures” in the blog). 

 

I already take a lot of pictures, but perhaps I should take even more. Further, it might be a good idea to keep them in separate albums - perhaps chronologically, or by reference to subject matter (I currently favor the latter!).

 

  Well; so much, regarding Matt’s play, and the head bump stuff, that writing about it, has prompted...

 

He is, of course, not an only child! 

 

As you might have noticed, recent posts have also mentioned the many, and recent  achievements of his younger brother.

 

There is also their big sister!

 

She has, herself, very many virtues and talents - some previously mentioned, and others that ill crop up in later posts. 

 

I’ll just mention a couple of these, for now...

 

First, she is the mother of a wonderful boy, and is doing a brilliant job of bringing him up.





And, if that isn’t enough...




She cooks a great Christmas dinner!



Popular posts from this blog