As you might have guessed from the picture, in this post I’m going to address an aspect of ancient Greek/Roman philosophy; namely, Stoicism. 

 Among other things, the considerations and teaching of Stoics, concerned emotions, and an elimination or reduction, of negative feelings.

 

Right up my street, and well worthy of further exploration!

 

First, please bear in mind that:

 

In modern usage, a “stoical” approach, is seen as one that is bereft of emotion.  

 

It is often, considered to be a bad thing.

 

The reason behind this, is that many emotions are positive, and someone who doesn’t feel such things, tends to be looked upon negatively.

 

Ancient Stoics though, were not, however, advocating an emotionless existence, and were fully supportive of positive feelings.

 

There are, of course though, negative emotions, such as anger and hate etc.

 

It is these kinds of things, that they were seeking to minimise.

 

But how can it be done?

 

I can provide a topical (albeit simplistic) explanation of a Stoical approach to emotion - this very post! 

 

Having worked on the post, 2 things struck me:

 

·      It could have been an awful lot better! 

 

It would have been rather improved, if I had read more than half a dozen pages, of the pictured book; and

 

·      It’s bloody ages since I last posted, so I’ll have to publish, regardless.

 

My regretful realization of such things will often trigger a substantive emotion.

 

Stoics fully accepted that we can’t control such an immediate reaction (they called it, a “first movement”).

 

What we do have control over though, is the eventual emotion that it might generate.

 

At risk of stating the obvious, we need, if possible, to think our way out of the creation of unduly negative emotion.

 

So, what eventual and adverse emotions might arise in the current scenario?

 

Possibilities include:

 

·      Sadness

 

·      Diminished self-respect

 

·      Expectation, and fear of criticism 

 

Etc. etc.

 

To a Stoic, such things, can very easily spiral out of control and become (at least, for the time-being) unstoppable. 

 

To coin an expression, that I have used, on many occasions:

 

“It is hard to think oneself out of a feeling.”

 

But...

 

Do I want these kinds of feelings?

 

NO!

 

Is thinking so powerless, as to render their experience, inevitable?

 

NO

 

We might not be able (easily) to think ourselves out of a full-blown negative emotion, once it has arisen, but...

 

Maybe though, our thinking can prevent its happening, in the first place? 

 

To the Stoics, the key to this lies in the recognition that a first movement doesn’t lead, directly to an emotion, and that there is a stage in-between; Namely:

 

“Judgements”

 

We form views (judgements) on the trigger that has initiated the first movement. These thoughts then generate the emotion.

 

If they are properly managed, then perhaps we can avoid adverse emotion, or at least, reduce it.

 

While we are unable to control the first movement and the eventual emotion (once it has come into being), the good news is that we can control our judgements and with a bit of luck, influence the subsequent emotion. Our mind does indeed have a role to play, in emotional outcomes.

 

As I have said, negative emotions are the product of judgements.

 

So, what judgements might I have made on the trigger (first movement)?

 

Perhaps thoughts such as:

 

·      This is a bad post.

 

·      It should have been delivered weeks ago.

 

·      The blog might have been ok, in the early days, but isn’t much use, of late. 

 

·      I couldn’t be bothered to do the reading, so must have lost interest in it all.

 

·      There doesn’t seem to be a lot of point carrying on with it.

 

·      I think that this ought to be my final post.

 

These judgements may well have invoked emotions such as those, previously mentioned (and worse!):

 

But there is of course, more than one way of looking at things.

 

My judgements might have been rather different.

 

For example:

 

·      This one has taken a while to write, but reading over it, I’m quite happy with its contents.

 

·      It might have been better, had it been the subject of a bit more research. 

 

That said, this has caused me to think about it all, rather more deeply, and I think that the issues have been addressed in sufficient detail, for current purposes...

 

·      In any event, I haven’t publicized any deadlines for publication, so will anyone care about it being rather a while since the last post – probably not!

 

·      In any event, I have already decided upon the subject matter of the next one and am keen to make a start in the very near future.  Long gaps between posts are not going to be a regular feature.

 

These judgements may well have led to more positive (or at least neutral), eventual emotions.

 

“It might not be my best and it’s a while since the last one – but I don’t really give a toss”!

 

Now, that’s better!

 

Overall, the lesson for me here, is to ensure awareness of negative feelings having been sparked (the first movement) and stop to think about the issue, before jumping to conclusions.

 

BUT

 

Often easier said than done, as the gap between the trigger and a runaway emotion, might be so negligible, as to seem non-existent.

 

Even in this case, a knowledge of stoic philosophy, can be of assistance.

 

What I need to do here, is wait for the negative emotion to subside, and then undertake a bit of analysis:

 

·      What judgements did I make?

 

·      Which other ones could/should I have made?

 

·      try to learn from my mistakes!

 

And finally...

 

 Stoics were named, by reference to an early meeting place of theirs - Namely, a landmark known as the Painted Stoa. From this, they became known as “Stoics”

 

If I were to establish a philosophical school, I would suggest that we don’t meet in a pub.

 

A building with a sign on the front

Description automatically generated

 

 

 

I think that on balance, I would rather not be a Pubic!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog