"These boots were made for walking"

(Lee Hazelwood 1966)












Calling them "boots" might be an exaggeration ...

But they certainly got her there!

Clare and a friend have recently undertaken a long walk.

By "long", I mean very long indeed - 100km, to be precise!

The walk is a popular, and long established Christian pilgrimage to the tomb of St James, in northwestern Spain. To give you its proper name; The Camino de Santiago.

Of course, they took a few days over it, but (despite some illness) their objective was well and truly achieved.


Very well done, to the pair of you!











Anyway, I felt a strong need, not to be upstaged.

I therefore set myself a challenge, of walking 100km, while they were away - although not ending up at a church!

I was also successful, and here are a few related observations (which inevitably include some head bump stuff).

  • It might not be a patch on their own experience; but I too, got to walk in some lovely places. I thoroughly enjoyed the week, accordingly.
            I am blessed by living on the edge of the countryside, and am only a few minutes' walk away from                 some rural and very pleasant spots...
        
            Much of my walking was rather off the beaten track.

            Without any exaggeration, it takes me about a minute, to get here...

        

 


















       ....and 5 minutes to here...



  •     My surroundings might well be attractive, but this is no good to me, if I don't notice them!
                Since my accident, I have developed a tendency towards introspection. I spend a lot of time, in a                 world of my own, with much headspace being given over to self-pitiful regret.

                Being in such a "world", can cause me to miss immediate pleasure, such as my walks.

                I am however, becoming more and more aware of the negative effects of such thoughts, and am                     working hard (not always successfully!) to reduce them, and leave some space in the "broken                     brain" for enjoyment

  • Related to this, someone once advised me of the benefits of raising my eyes, and looking around.
            Given my visual impairment, averting my gaze from what is underfoot, can be a rather hazardous                 course of action. I should therefore perhaps, make a point of stopping more frequently, in order to                 take in the view. This can be accompanied by keeping a photographic record, which can facilitate                 positive reflection.

  • While on the topic of visual impairment, many readers will know that I now, use a white cane (I have mentioned it in earlier posts).
            While I am doing much better than used to be the case, at remembering to take it out with me, I                      have been reminded that I should use it more effectively.

            I use it for estimating distance and depth etc; but it does have another important use...

            Namely as an indication to others of my limited vision. This is helped by making the cane's use, as                 readily apparent as possible. I must try to get into the habit of holding it, properly in front of me,                 while moving it in a sweeping fashion.

  • Finally, for now...
(            Strange as it may sound, I find walking alone, can be rather restful.
            
            Of course it can increase physical tiredness, but what I am talking about here, is a reduction of                     mental fatigue. 

            Such fatigue afflicts me significantly, and provided that I can keep negative background rumination             to a minimum, the peace and quiet that walking brings, feels very helpful to me.

"The long and winding road..."

(Lennon and McCartney 1970)


And returning to our intrepid Iberian strollers...

"C'mon pilgrim"

(Larry Norman 1977)
            


Popular posts from this blog