“Well, we are volunteers of America,

 

Volunteers of America”

 

(Jefferson Airplane 1969)

 

I guess that Stockport is close enough!

 

Notwithstanding geographical inaccuracy, this is indeed about volunteering.

 

 

As you may have picked up, I now spend a fair chunk of my time, in the provision of voluntary services.

 I am pleased to repot that this is of my own volition, rather than a legal requirement!

 I have mentioned many (if not all!) of these activities before, but I just wanted to take the opportunity of providing a little further elaboration.

 The trigger for this post has been 2 recent events.

 More will follow, but for now:

  • Today marked my 90th attendance at Bramhall parkrun, for the purpose of providing voluntary services; and
  •  Quite recently, I was presented with this at Walthew House:


Parkrun

 

You may have heard of parkrun (and yes – a lowercase “p” is the correct branding!).

 

These are series of weekly, timed 5k events, in which participants are encouraged to walk, run, or a combination of the 2, along a 5km, outdoor, route.  An individual’s recorded time to complete the event, is sent to them, later, that day.

 

Parkrun was founded 20 years ago, and its inaugural event was held in London.  This attracted 13 runners.

 

20 years down the line, there are more than 2,200 parkruns, spread throughout the world, and over 9 million individuals are registered to participate.

 

Parkrun provides many benefits to those involved. For example, its contributions to physical and mental wellbeing, and the promotion of community spirit.

 

A fundamental philosophy behind parkrun is a desire to promote a sense of inclusivity. In reflection of this, there is never any charge for taking part.

 

Parkruns accordingly, rely upon a vast number of volunteers, without whom, it would be impossible for them to continue.

 

In addition to having directly participated in over 350 parkruns, I have served as a volunteer at my local parkrun on 90 occasions. It is a very regular Saturday morning activity, for me!

 

My usual role is to act as one of the course marshals; ensuring that participants follow the correct route – although, what they think of a partially sighted person doing this, is anyone’s guess!

 

And now, the second recent, volunteering-related event: 


Walthew House

ToWalthew House is a charity, that operates from premises in Stockport, and provides services in favor of the visually and hearing impaired.

 

I have acted as a volunteer here, since quite soon after my accident.

 

During this time, I have undertaken a few different roles.

 

Initially, I worked in its “resource centre” (in effect, a non-profit making shop) that sells aids for its service users.

 

Latterly, my main activity is in respect of a weekly social club for such people.

 

As a part of this experience, attendees are given lunch. 

 

I prefer to think of myself as “dessert chef” but am universally referred to as the “pudding cook”!

 

I don’t think that my culinary (im)perfection has resulted in any fatalities yet; but I will keep trying!

 

At an event last week, the contributions of many of Walthew House’s longstanding volunteers, were recognized, and they were presented with an award, by the Lord-Lieutenant of Greater Manchester.

 

I was honored to be one such person.

 

But that’s not all...

Under the circumstances, it would be wrong for me to avoid any volunteering, in support of the brain injury community.

 I therefore, do indeed devote some time to this cause...

 The country’s pre-eminent charity, for the benefit of brain injury survivors, is Headway.

 Headway operates through branches, and my nearest is the South Manchester and Stockport branch.

 Its main activity (among others) is the provision of a weekly “drop-in centre”.

Here, service users are offered the opportunity to meet up/chat with fellow survivors, and with experienced volunteers.

 As one might imagine, conversation will often turn to brain injury related topics, and peer/volunteer support can be proffered.

 Even if this is not the case, the sessions can (and do!) involve significant social interaction.  This is important to many service users, whose post -injury lives might include a degree of social isolation.

 I originally attended Headway as a pure service user.

 As time went on however, I became more and more interested in “lending a hand”.

 I now sit as a member of our branch’s organizing committee, and my designated role is “member representative”.

 As such, I serve as a link between the committee and the wider membership.

 I am in effect, the voice of members to the committee, and vice versa.

 And...

 ...as with Walthew House, thanks are most gratefully appreciated:

 

 


 I have mentioned in previous posts, the many opportunities that I have taken to deliver presentations, for the benefit of prospective and actual professionals, whose work will, or does bring them into contact with the brain injured community.

 I have also had various writings published, that are aimed at such individuals.

 I don’t get paid for any of this, and accordingly, the sharing of my story in this manner, constitutes a form of voluntary work, in favour of the brain injured.

 And finally:

 Why do I do all this?

 It could be construed as being nothing more than magnanimous.

 In truth, I guess there is an element of this...

 Being no longer able to pursue remunerated employment, I have more time on my hands.  What better, than to give it to others, who might benefit from it?

 But there are some more selfish motivations at work...

 

  • ·       As expounded elsewhere, the creation and maintenance of a full and worthwhile lifestyle, contributes greatly towards my emotional wellbeing. My voluntary work constitutes a large part of this.
  • ·      It can (and does) contribute to a much-needed sense of self-worth. 
  •    When talking about Headway, I mentioned common feelings of social isolation among the brain injured.

        I am no exception to this, and my voluntary work provides me with significant and valuable social         interaction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  





 

 


 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            

            

            

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog